Back in the States after being gone for quite a while feels fresh and alive...and fun! People move faster, lights seem brighter, there's new stimulation when we drive by houses and shopping malls and playground packed parks. New faces and feelings, expectations and understoods. There are new electronics, new tv shows, new cars and running shoes and stand up scooters. And me? I feel like all I do is smile and stare and smile some more---in my car, pushing Sofia in the shopping cart, pumping gas, even when we take lazy walks in this beautiful, flower-laden American small town. And maybe, just maybe I make a few smiles myself. I know I gave one. To the bus driver. I was rocking away, singing my heart out in the car and saw him watching me right before I turned. He was chuckling. Chuckling as he drove his bus load of worker bees to their jobs and homes and friends. What a nice man. I'm sure of it.
Some of my new favorite things this week, things that made me smile:
1. Small town American ingenuity: A man mowing his lawn with a riding lawn mower. He mounted a big plush seat from a car onto his riding lawn mower. To ride in comfort! I am still smiling…
2. Annie Chun's Seaweed Snacks: I love how they melt like tissue paper in my mouth. Instant smile. Oh, and they taste salty-delicious, too!
3. New toothpaste: Have you met Natura yet? It’s a new toothpaste that comes in a little bottle with an eye dropper. Liquid packed yum! You can use it like a breath freshener, too. Either way, it's all natural smiles for your tongue!
4. Shelled hemp seed: with the price of pine nuts these days, here is my answer to the craving. They come in tiny bags and have 2000 mgs. of Omega 3's, and all 10 essential amino acids. And best of all, I LOVE the texture and flavor!
5. Bookstores: To walk into a big store with shelves and shelves of paper covers holding even more paper inside, with all of those papers covered in words, creative ideas squished into little rectangular squares…is pure delight. Sometimes, if I stand really quietly I think I can hear the words transforming themselves into voices, swirling like letter clouds, pirouetting throughout the store. Oh, how I miss bookstores down in Mexico. If you can't find me here on my blog, you will surely find me there, nose in a book.
Ok, so after you watch the bonus video, it's your turn! What gave you new smiles this week?