Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Wednesday Wish (96); Redefine Success


Playing marbles
photo by susan hardman via flickr

They play marbles in the dirt and I can hear their laughter from up the street—an entire family, together.

He cuts me off and somehow we end up at the same store. He gets out of his car and walks over to mine. “I’m sorry I cut you off back there, I wasn’t paying attention. I hope I didn’t scare you too badly.”

She is exhausted but she stays up rubbing her son’s back, to help him forget his pain.

I’ve never met him but still, he waves at me every day when I drive by, his whole body happy to see me.

The barista asks his patrons how they are, looking them in the eye and caring about their responses. And he remembers their names.

She does what she loves, even though it doesn’t make her any money.

He does what he loves, even though his parents say he is throwing away his future.

“I forgive you. Even though I never thought I could, I forgive you,” she says to the man who hurt her so badly. And together, they weep.

*          *           *

A life is formed with moments, with choices made over and over and over again. No secret formula. No hidden clues aching to be unearthed. Just choices. And moments. Waiting to be filled. By You. Your heart and your soul. Your You.

What brings you joy? What makes your heart sing? Or have you forgotten? If so, then what did you most love to do as a child? Go there, dwell there, uncover the treasures of your once innocent heart. And when you do, vow to stay there. Or at least some of the time. Because when we forsake our joys, we forfeit our success. Even with all the money in the world, without our joys, we have failed. Failed our heart and soul.

*          *          *

This week my Wish is that you redefine success, that you give new weight to the pieces of your life that truly bring you joy—connecting, caring, giving, loving, playing marbles in the dirt, spending time with those you love, rubbing your dogs belly, chasing pigeons in the park, visiting an old friend, painting pictures, reading books, dancing naked in the moonlight…

When we live from our hearts, that place where empathy and compassion and kindness are a given, we are always a success. No money or title or thing can give you that gift. Only You can give it to yourself. Only you can resurrect your joy and let it lead you, front and center, to a life worth celebrating, to a life that feels like success because … it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just when I need you...you are always there with a light in the right direction

Brynne said...

ahhh Jo...you always pick the perfect day to come visit me here. Just when I miss you the most, when I need you...you are here. Thank you.